Application Submission Affirmations
The Common Application presents several affirmations to applicants during the online submission process, and these affirmations must be confirmed in order to complete the submission of an application to each college. The affirmations are intended to make sure that the applicant certifies the authenticity of the application, agrees to provide updated information to the college, and will commit only to one college once accepted. As evidence the applicant has viewed and affirmed these statements, the applicant’s signature and date are captured and provided to the college electronically.
FERPA Release Affirmations
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants will be presented with the affirmations and may choose whether to waive the right to review all recommendations and supporting documents submitted to the college. All applicants will see and respond to these options prior to submitting an application.
Below you can find full text of affirmations from previous years. To view affirmations for current year, click here.
Application Submission Affirmations for 2016-17
FERPA Release Affirmations for 2016-17
- I certify that all information submitted in the admission process -- including this application and any other supporting materials -- is my own work, factually true, and honestly presented, and that these documents will become the property of the institution to which I am applying and will not be returned to me. I understand that I may be subject to a range of possible disciplinary actions, including admission revocation, expulsion, or revocation of course credit, grades, and degree should the information I have certified be false.
- I agree to notify the institutions to which I am applying immediately should there be any change to the information requested in this application, including disciplinary history.
- I understand that once my application has been submitted it may not be altered in any way; I will need to contact the institution directly if I wish to provide additional information.
- I acknowledge that I have reviewed the application instructions for the college receiving this application. I understand that all offers of admission are conditional, pending receipt of final transcripts showing work comparable in quality to that upon which the offer was based, as well as honorable dismissal from the school.
- I affirm that I will send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to only one institution; sending multiple deposits (or equivalent) may result in the withdrawal of my admission offers from all institutions. [Note: students may send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to a second institution where they have been admitted from the waitlist, provided that they inform the first institution that they will no longer be enrolling.]
- I authorize every school that I have attended to release all requested records and recommendations to colleges to which I am applying for admission. I also authorize employees at these colleges to confidentially contact my current and former schools should they have questions about the information submitted on my behalf.
- Applicants may select one of these two options:
- I waive my right to review all recommendations and supporting documents submitted by me or on my behalf.
- I DO NOT waive my right to review all recommendations and supporting documents submitted by me or on my behalf.
- I have chosen not to waive my right to review my recommendations and supporting documents. I understand that my decision may lead my counselors or teachers to decline to write recommendations on my behalf. I also understand that my decision may lead colleges to disregard any recommendations submitted on my behalf.